“To be nobody-but-yourself–in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else–means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.”
– e.e. cummings
I’m not much of a New Years Resolution type of person. The light and airiness of the News Years Resolutions that are thrown around like empty food wrappers in mainstream society will probably be forgotten in a few weeks. The local gyms will go back to its normal foot traffic and the commercials about a Better You in the New Year will stop.
But then what?
Does a pledge to yourself to be fitter, smarter, richer, make it any less of an admirable feat if its called a New Years Resolution?
While I’m not a fan of wishy washy resolutions, I strongly believe in writing goals and making conscious decisions to be introspective and evaluate my situation and life from time to time. I also feel strongly in the power of community support. It amazes me when I take a stand for change and begin to share my goals with others, how many people around me are in the same accord.
In that spirit, here are a few things I’m trying to work on this year and create new habits for myself:
- Read 2 books a month.
- Maintain my monthly budget and eliminate as mush debt as possible.
- Create one piece of art a week, be it a painting, sketch, digital illustration, etc
- Remind myself of this quote, “Whether you think you can or can’t either way you are right.” Henry Ford
- Take a chance on me and challenge myself to go after things I might not think I’m good enough for.
- Countering negative reflections with a positive affirmation.
- And what the hell…… increase my fitness routine.
What are some of your goals towards making a better you?